A love-fest of job satisfaction; Perl Developer in London
West London, UK (see more)
Inline with experience
What if you had a job you loved, and that job helped other people find jobs they loved? If you’re an advocate of ‘sharing is caring’, then jump on the merry-go-round of contentment where everybody’s satisfied.
This client has built a search engine for people to find their ideal employers in the UK. So with them, you’ll be working on jobs within a job - think of it like Inception but for career dreams instead of nocturnal ones, very meta.
The company has a great ethos that anyone with a heart made of organic matter is sure to appreciate. They value openness in an informal, diverse environment, and find office politics as tedious and banal as you do. If you’re an independent thinker who likes teamwork - you’ll like here, and they throw a biannual shindig that proves they’re not a Monty Burns-style employer.
A stable company that’s financially sound and pays the salary that shows it, they’re after a skilled, modern Perl developer who thinks on their feet and loves making a real impact. It’s not the job to end all jobs, it’s the job that begins all jobs. Get in on the action and spread the satisfaction.
Skills and Experience
At a minimum:
- 4 or more years commercial experience with web-based Perl projects
- Strong grasp of OO Perl, preferably using Moo or Moose
- Comfortable writing your SQL by hand, or with DBIx::Class
- Familiar with Perl’s testing tools and Test::More
- Know your way around a Linux (or Unix) system
- Experience using VCS, preferably git
- Conscientious with a great attention to detail
You’ll cause significant excitement if you’re also familiar with any of:
- ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene, or some other heavy-weight search engine
- Happy to work with templating systems, especially Template::Toolkit
- Previous work history with classified or specialist ads
- A fundamental understanding of web-servers: Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache etc
- Knowledge of spidering technologies
- Cloud-deployment, with AWS preferred
- Infrastructure from data / Modern DevOps tooling, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc
- Distributed queueing or messaging, like Gearman, ActiveMQ, and so on
- Not scared by utf8, and a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of Unicode
About the Client
The client is always on the look-out for bright, driven, and web-savvy people who want to help them build high-quality products that help people in their day-to-day lives. Their main office is in West London, but they’ve got remote teams spread out around Europe and the wider world. Their focus is on human-centered success - they describe their culture as being diverse, open and informal. They want developers who will treat their products as if they were their own.
- Strong salary - a proper London living wage
- All employees should have an opportunity to be owners too, so there are stock options
- Company-matched pension
- People with (or who want!) families are welcome, and there’s paid maternity and paternity leave
- There are options for working from home, and flexible hours, dependent on role
- Beautiful offices with a sunny outdoor area, an awesome location, free healthy food, a great coffee machine, and table tennis
- At least three social happenings every month; try out your Go-Kart skills, or just come join the team at the pub
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.