Could you service an audience of 10 Million+? Perl Developer in London
West London, UK (see more)
Inline with experience
Sometimes when young companies reach a certain level of success, complacency sets in. The culture (subtly) shifts from entrepreneurial to bureaucratic.
That’s not this client.
Instead of toasting themselves, they keep rolling. A while back, they hit an impressive milestone—10 million monthly visitors. These visitors are looking for their next career move. The company’s goal is to become the best place for job seekers to begin their search. That means continued growth—while having fun along the way.
They’re looking for a Perl Developer with first-rate Object-Oriented skills (Moose). Strong SQL (ideally MySQL) and DBIx::Class a must. Other experience? Unit and functional testing (Test::More etc.). Unix/Linux. Version control systems (Git is best).
Should you join the company, you’ll be charged with analyzing business and technical requirements. The solutions you propose will account for performance, scalability, maintenance, and cost. You’ll develop new tools and functionality. You’ll work with other developers, engineers, and data scientists (all of whom are great people—really!).
The salary is competitive. The perks are many (stock, pension, vouchers for childcare, etc.). They’ve got an active social program, but there’s never any pressure to participate. The office is in West London (Fulham Broadway), with satellite offices worldwide.
Skills and Experience
At a minimum:
- 4 or more years commercial experience with web-based Perl projects
- Strong grasp of OO Perl, preferably using Moo or Moose
- Comfortable writing your SQL by hand, or with DBIx::Class
- Familiar with Perl’s testing tools and Test::More
- Know your way around a Linux (or Unix) system
- Experience using VCS, preferably git
- Conscientious with a great attention to detail
You’ll cause significant excitement if you’re also familiar with any of:
- ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene, or some other heavy-weight search engine
- Happy to work with templating systems, especially Template::Toolkit
- Previous work history with classified or specialist ads
- A fundamental understanding of web-servers: Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache etc
- Knowledge of spidering technologies
- Cloud-deployment, with AWS preferred
- Infrastructure from data / Modern DevOps tooling, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc
- Distributed queueing or messaging, like Gearman, ActiveMQ, and so on
- Not scared by utf8, and a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of Unicode
About the Client
The client is always on the look-out for bright, driven, and web-savvy people who want to help them build high-quality products that help people in their day-to-day lives. Their main office is in West London, but they’ve got remote teams spread out around Europe and the wider world. Their focus is on human-centered success - they describe their culture as being diverse, open and informal. They want developers who will treat their products as if they were their own.
- Strong salary - a proper London living wage
- All employees should have an opportunity to be owners too, so there are stock options
- Company-matched pension
- People with (or who want!) families are welcome, and there’s paid maternity and paternity leave
- There are options for working from home, and flexible hours, dependent on role
- Beautiful offices with a sunny outdoor area, an awesome location, free healthy food, a great coffee machine, and table tennis
- At least three social happenings every month; try out your Go-Kart skills, or just come join the team at the pub
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.