Do you love customers? Senior Perl Developer with a product focus, London
West London, UK (see more)
Inline with experience
Ever find yourself wishing you could see meaningful impact on users from your work? Trapped in a company with long release cycles and dubious release dates? Wish your ideas for product improvement didn’t keep disappearing in to the Project Manager’s backlog?
My client is looking for a product-focussed Senior Perl Developer to help them move their exciting and profitable product set forward. Working with their product owner, you’ll be expected to help define new features, talk to customers, and have a real impact on the client’s end products.
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience with DBIx::Class and either Postgres or MySQL
- Template Toolkit
- Experience with at least one of the modern web frameworks: Dancer, Mojolicious, Catalyst
- Exposure to Moose would be ideal
Skills and Experience
At a minimum:
- 4 or more years commercial experience with web-based Perl projects
- Strong grasp of OO Perl, preferably using Moose or Moo
- Comfortable writing your SQL by hand, or with DBIx::Class
- Familiar with Perl’s testing tools and Test::More
- Know your way around a Linux (or Unix) system
- Experience using VCS, preferably git
- Conscientious with a great attention to detail
You’ll cause significant excitement if you’re also familiar with any of:
- ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene, or some other heavy-weight search engine
- Happy to work with templating systems, especially Template::Toolkit
- Previous work history with classified or specialist ads
- A fundamental understanding of web-servers: Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache etc
- Knowledge of spidering technologies
- Cloud-deployment, with AWS preferred
- Infrastructure from data / Modern DevOps tooling, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc
- Distributed queueing or messaging, like Gearman, ActiveMQ, and so on
- Not scared by utf8, and a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of Unicode
About the Client
The client is always on the look-out for bright, driven, and web-savvy people who want to help them build high-quality products that help people in their day-to-day lives. Their main office is in West London, but they’ve got remote teams spread out around Europe and the wider world. Their focus is on human-centered success - they describe their culture as being diverse, open and informal. They want developers who will treat their products as if they were their own.
- Strong salary - a proper London living wage
- All employees should have an opportunity to be owners too, so there are stock options
- Company-matched pension
- People with (or who want!) families are welcome, and there’s paid maternity and paternity leave
- There are options for working from home, and flexible hours, dependent on role
- Beautiful offices with a sunny outdoor area, an awesome location, free healthy food, a great coffee machine, and table tennis
- At least three social happenings every month; try out your Go-Kart skills, or just come join the team at the pub
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.
Want a job like this?
Enter your email address so we know how to get in touch.
We'll ask you some follow-up questions, and you can upload your CV or resume if you have one
All set! We'll get back to you in one working day with some jobs we think would be a great match for your skillset.