Independent thinkers required! Mid/Senior-level Perl Developer for an innovative London company
West London, UK (see more)
Inline with experience
Have you ever worked for a company with a micromanagement style, where a boss was constantly breathing down your neck? Do you hate spending more time in meetings about product requirements than actually getting on with building the product?
This company is renowned for its fast-moving, low-structure environment, where employees are given an impressive lease of freedom to work on projects in their own way and on their own schedule. They are looking for a Mid/Senior-level developer to join their team, with responsibilities across a full range of aspects from website management to data analysis. It is a small company where your input will lead to satisfyingly tangible improvements for customers right away.
The right candidate will have experience with:
- DBIx::Class and either Postgres or MySQL
- Template Toolkit
- At least one of the modern web frameworks: Dancer, Mojolicious, Catalyst
Skills and Experience
At a minimum:
- 4 or more years commercial experience with web-based Perl projects
- Strong grasp of OO Perl, preferably using Moose or Moo
- Comfortable writing your SQL by hand, or with DBIx::Class
- Familiar with Perl’s testing tools and Test::More
- Know your way around a Linux (or Unix) system
- Experience using VCS, preferably git
- Conscientious with a great attention to detail
You’ll cause significant excitement if you’re also familiar with any of:
- ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene, or some other heavy-weight search engine
- Happy to work with templating systems, especially Template::Toolkit
- Previous work history with classified or specialist ads
- A fundamental understanding of web-servers: Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache etc
- Knowledge of spidering technologies
- Cloud-deployment, with AWS preferred
- Infrastructure from data / Modern DevOps tooling, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc
- Distributed queueing or messaging, like Gearman, ActiveMQ, and so on
- Not scared by utf8, and a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of Unicode
About the Client
The client is always on the look-out for bright, driven, and web-savvy people who want to help them build high-quality products that help people in their day-to-day lives. Their main office is in West London, but they’ve got remote teams spread out around Europe and the wider world. Their focus is on human-centered success - they describe their culture as being diverse, open and informal. They want developers who will treat their products as if they were their own.
- Strong salary - a proper London living wage
- All employees should have an opportunity to be owners too, so there are stock options
- Company-matched pension
- People with (or who want!) families are welcome, and there’s paid maternity and paternity leave
- There are options for working from home, and flexible hours, dependent on role
- Beautiful offices with a sunny outdoor area, an awesome location, free healthy food, a great coffee machine, and table tennis
- At least three social happenings every month; try out your Go-Kart skills, or just come join the team at the pub
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.
Want a job like this?
Enter your email address so we know how to get in touch.
We'll ask you some follow-up questions, and you can upload your CV or resume if you have one
All set! We'll get back to you in one working day with some jobs we think would be a great match for your skillset.