Junior Perl developer needed to help a charity and giving-focused team in Kent, UK
Sevenoaks, Kent, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
Are you looking for a place to help you grow in your career as a developer? Would you like to make a positive impact in the world while at it? This might be a unique chance to get trained by awesome developers in a wonderful working environment while adding your contribution to the world being a better place!
To be successful you’ll need:
- To have a junior level skill set in Perl, PHP / Python or a similar language - you’ll be trained in modern Perl programming if successful (Our client has obtained great results in the past from people with an OOP background). Preferably with at least some work experience.
- Be ready to bring your A game, the client wants someone with good attention to detail and who will do their part with documentation and testing.
- Good knowledge of modern MVC web frameworks an advantage
- Strong MySQL knowledge would help you stand out
- Your English must be fluent
You’ll get cookie points if you know any Perl modern MVC frameworks (Mojolicious, Catalyst, Dancer) and testing (Test::Harness, Test::More, Test::Most).
This is an onsite full time position so keep the location in mind.
Skills and Experience
- At least two years of commercial experience
- You’ve used an MVC framework at least in passing, and could take a stab at explaining what each letter in MVC stands for
- Comfortable writing SQL queries
- There are some days when you aren’t completely terrified by git
- You’ll need to speak English fluently
** Great to have**
- Modern Perl experience
- Solid experience with one of Dancer, Catalyst, or Mojolicious
- Experience testing your code with Perl’s testing modules
About the Client
Our client helps charities fund-raise online, and manages online payments systems for landlords. With every commit, you’ll be helping to funnel market to charities and making renting property just that little bit easier. We regularly bump into the company’s programmers at dev conferences, and their developers are well-known in the open-source community for their contributions to projects.
- A very generous 25 days of annual leave, in addition to Bank Holidays, public holidays, etc
- Employer-matched pension scheme
- Chance to work, expenses paid, in the mountains near Lake Geneva for one week a year
- Company winter sports trip once a year, in addition to the above!
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.
Want a job like this?
Enter your email address so we know how to get in touch.
We'll ask you some follow-up questions, and you can upload your CV or resume if you have one
All set! We'll get back to you in one working day with some jobs we think would be a great match for your skillset.