Junior Perl Developer who needs a career boost?
Sevenoaks, Kent, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
Taking the journey from Junior to Senior – and building a strong work history – is a lot more fun in the right job – somewhere with a strong work environment, talented and friendly colleagues, and projects that actually have real-world impact. But what’s more, a company that gives you increasing responsibility month on month and room to grow is going to give you the ultimate boost.
So come join a fun, highly proficient team lead by a wonderful CTO, and who are striving to get their work done using the best tools at their disposal. Gain some experience and get the chance to grow your skills to a Senior-standard.
What you would be doing
- Design and prototype product features based on business requirements;
- Maintain and refactor product features;
- Develop, update and maintain technical documentation;
- Provide internal support for system-related questions and issues. The wish list
- 2 years of Perl-based web development experience;
- 2 years of front-end web development experience;
- 3 years professional experience;
- Good knowledge of modern Perl MVC web frameworks (Mojolicious, Catalyst);
- Good MySQL knowledge;
- Experienced with testing (Test::Harness, Test::More, Test::Most) and continuous integration;
- Experienced with SVN and Git;
- Write & maintain technical documentation;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent English communication skills;
- Passionate about learning new languages and technologies.
Skills and Experience
- At least two years of commercial experience
- You’ve used an MVC framework at least in passing, and could take a stab at explaining what each letter in MVC stands for
- Comfortable writing SQL queries
- There are some days when you aren’t completely terrified by git
- You’ll need to speak English fluently
** Great to have**
- Modern Perl experience
- Solid experience with one of Dancer, Catalyst, or Mojolicious
- Experience testing your code with Perl’s testing modules
About the Client
Our client helps charities fund-raise online, and manages online payments systems for landlords. With every commit, you’ll be helping to funnel market to charities and making renting property just that little bit easier. We regularly bump into the company’s programmers at dev conferences, and their developers are well-known in the open-source community for their contributions to projects.
- A very generous 25 days of annual leave, in addition to Bank Holidays, public holidays, etc
- Employer-matched pension scheme
- Chance to work, expenses paid, in the mountains near Lake Geneva for one week a year
- Company winter sports trip once a year, in addition to the above!
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.