Modern Perl developers needed to drive medical diagnosis into the future
Cambridge, UK (see more)
Competitive salary based on experience
It’s incredible how diseases and illnesses that were once fatal can be so easily treated today. Medical progress ploughs forward, but it relies on technological breakthrough. That’s where you and our client come in.
A Cambridge-based provider of a revolutionary diagnostic tool for clinicians is looking for Modern Perl developers who are passionate about using their tech skills to help further the field of medicine. You’ll be building the tools that scientists are using to cure disease. Their flagship product assists doctors in investigating the human genome, helping them find disease-causing variants. It helps to significantly fast-tracked the often frustrating process of diagnosis for today’s tricky medical cases — great developers like yourself will help make it even easier for them.
This is an organization that’s making the world a better place; they’re a direct partner of the pivotal 100,000 Genomes Project and China’s 100k Wellness Pioneer Project. Your work will contribute to the future of highly personalized and effective patient care through accurate diagnoses, the expansion of our medical knowledge bases and support in clinical trials and drug development. How many Perl developers can say that?!
Where better to undertake such a thing than beautiful Cambridge, surrounded by smart people, at a science park just outside the city centre?
Experience with Modern Perl:
You should be familiar with Perl’s testing infrastructure: Test::More, Test::Builder, and so on. Bonus points if you’ve ever used the -j flag for prove
You should be familiar with at least one of the big Perl web frameworks; in use are Catalyst and Dancer
You should be happy with Moose, and probably have an opinion on when to use it over Moo
Skills and Experience
- You’ve used DBIx::Class on a production project before – you know the difference in result between querying a resultset in an array vs a scalar context; bonus points if you’ve a strong working knowledge of Postgres
- Exposure to a Modern Perl framework, ideally one of Catalyst, Dancer or Mojolicious
- Experience of the following would also be handy: git, Template Toolkit, Docker (and Kubernetes), Moose, Plack, Scrum
About the Client
The company builds software that helps power research, clinical, and commercial health customers worldwide, including being a major supplier to the NHS; they’re helping to push forward an exciting branch of medicine.
- You’re literally writing software that will save lives
- You’ll be working on a beautiful campus, with extensive wildlife, greenlands, wetlands, orchard, wooded areas, and paths to allow you to enjoy it all properly – the perfect place to clear your head during breaks from programming
- 5 weeks of holiday, rising to six over time, plus your birthday off
- Pension with 6% company matching, bonus up to 15%, subsidised healthcare
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.
Want a job like this?
Enter your email address so we know how to get in touch.
We'll ask you some follow-up questions, and you can upload your CV or resume if you have one
All set! We'll get back to you in one working day with some jobs we think would be a great match for your skillset.