Bored of jobs that don't matter? Be a Perl developer and save lives
Cambridge, UK (see more)
Competitive salary based on experience
Perl jobs can be pretty similar, and we write a lot of job ads at Perl Careers. The overwhelming majority of Perl jobs, you’re writing a web-app. For some companies, that’s a web-app that integrates with giant robots, and for some companies that’s a web-app that shoots money all across the world, but fundamentally you’ll be cracking out Mojolicious or Catalyst or Dancer, and writing some model and controller code. You’ll be testing it with the Test::More ecosystem, you’ll be using `git` for change management.
And the bad news is that you’ll also be working on a web-app at this job.
But there’s good news too! This web-app saves lives, and literally pushes forward medical science. Your work will be used by the NHS, research labs, and healthcare providers worldwide to diagnose patients, organize research, and make the world a better place.
That’s a web-app that matters.
Skills and Experience
- You’ve used DBIx::Class on a production project before – you know the difference in result between querying a resultset in an array vs a scalar context; bonus points if you’ve a strong working knowledge of Postgres
- Exposure to a Modern Perl framework, ideally one of Catalyst, Dancer or Mojolicious
- Experience of the following would also be handy: git, Template Toolkit, Docker (and Kubernetes), Moose, Plack, Scrum
About the Client
The company builds software that helps power research, clinical, and commercial health customers worldwide, including being a major supplier to the NHS; they’re helping to push forward an exciting branch of medicine.
- You’re literally writing software that will save lives
- You’ll be working on a beautiful campus, with extensive wildlife, greenlands, wetlands, orchard, wooded areas, and paths to allow you to enjoy it all properly – the perfect place to clear your head during breaks from programming
- 5 weeks of holiday, rising to six over time, plus your birthday off
- Pension with 6% company matching, bonus up to 15%, subsidised healthcare
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.
Want a job like this?
Enter your email address so we know how to get in touch.
We'll ask you some follow-up questions, and you can upload your CV or resume if you have one
All set! We'll get back to you in one working day with some jobs we think would be a great match for your skillset.