Bored of jobs that don't matter? Be a Perl developer and save lives
Cambridge, UK (see more)
Competitive salary based on experience
Perl jobs can be pretty similar, and we write a lot of job ads at Perl Careers. The overwhelming majority of Perl jobs, you’re writing a web-app. For some companies, that’s a web-app that integrates with giant robots, and for some companies that’s a web-app that shoots money all across the world, but fundamentally you’ll be cracking out Mojolicious or Catalyst or Dancer, and writing some model and controller code. You’ll be testing it with the Test::More ecosystem, you’ll be using `git` for change management.
And the bad news is that you’ll also be working on a web-app at this job.
But there’s good news too! This web-app saves lives, and literally pushes forward medical science. Your work will be used by the NHS, research labs, and healthcare providers worldwide to diagnose patients, organize research, and make the world a better place.
That’s a web-app that matters.
Skills and Experience
- You’ve used DBIx::Class on a production project before – you know the difference in result between querying a resultset in an array vs a scalar context; bonus points if you’ve a strong working knowledge of Postgres
- Exposure to a Modern Perl framework, ideally one of Catalyst, Dancer or Mojolicious
- Experience of the following would also be handy: git, Template Toolkit, Docker (and Kubernetes), Moose, Plack, Scrum
About the Client
The company builds software that helps power research, clinical, and commercial health customers worldwide, including being a major supplier to the NHS; they’re helping to push forward an exciting branch of medicine.
- You’re literally writing software that will save lives
- You’ll be working on a beautiful campus, with extensive wildlife, greenlands, wetlands, orchard, wooded areas, and paths to allow you to enjoy it all properly – the perfect place to clear your head during breaks from programming
- 5 weeks of holiday, rising to six over time, plus your birthday off
- Pension with 6% company matching, bonus up to 15%, subsidised healthcare
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting OSC426.