This Company is No Shop of Horrors
Canberra, Australia (see more)
Depending on experience
Feed me, Seymour!
Remember that 80s cult movie classic Little Shop of Horrors? Rick Moranis at his nerdy best and Audrey II, the talking, singing, carnivorous plant. If you saw that movie and found yourself rooting for the vicious Venus flytrap, then our latest role might be the perfect fit for you.
This company’s innovative software provides genotyping information about crops and is used to develop new species of plants. We’re not saying they’re creating man-eating marigolds… but we’re also not denying it. Every office has its secrets, right?
These DNA-dynamos are looking for someone whose modern Perl skills are complemented by an interest in genome technology, bioinformatics, and who won’t tip off the papers if a janitor or two are devoured by daisies. Okay, we might be kidding about that last part, but they are searching for a candidate who is familiar with modern tooling and might have experience with Ansible, AWS, and Linux containers. Toss in a dash of MySQL, Postgres, and Solr, and they would be eager to meet you.
With a mission that includes developing cost-efficient genotyping technology and promoting the development of crops adapted to suit their environment, this is a company that cares about doing great things, and that level of dedication extends to their people. They offer a stellar annual bonus, flexible working hours, and the opportunity to work much of your week from home after the initial 6 months onsite in Canberra to fill you in on the need-to-know details. You’ll have the cash to keep your garden stocked and you’ll be home to enjoy it!
If you’re located within Australia and this role sounds too delicious to pass up, drop us an email with your resume and your favourite flower. No wrong answers! Except carnations. Carnations are always the wrong answer.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent Modern Perl skills, ideally with Dancer
- An openness to learning new things – there’s a learning curve regarding the domain knowledge, but they’ll be happy to teach you
**Nice to have:
- MariaDB and Postgres
- Exposure to biological and/or GIS data analysis
- Ansible / AWS / Linux containers
About the Client
Cutting-edge bioinformatics company
- International and multilingual workplace alongside people with interesting and diverse backgrounds
- Gain experience in bioinformatics, plant genetics and breeding
- Exposure to new approaches in data analysis
- Generous annual bonus
- Flexible working hours, withthe opportunity to work from home for a significant proportion of the week
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.