Perl Developer and Business Owner? Remote Perl role in UK & EU
West London, UK (see more)
Inline with experience
Business ownership without ulcers!
There’s something to be said for the heady sense of pride that comes from owning your own business. Of course, that pride is likely mixed with a healthy dose of too-much-work, too-little-play, and the ever-present fear of bankruptcy. If you’re a Perl Developer who wants company ownership without the glowing ulcer, read on!
Our clients run a job search engine that has grown from two friends with an idea to a site that receives more than 10 million visits per month. Based in London, all full-time employees are owners, because these job search geniuses hold ownership as one of their core values. And hey, don’t worry if London is a tad far for you — they offer a fully remote position for those within two hours of London’s time zone.
Of course, if you do live near enough to the West London office to make the commute, we highly recommend doing so. Between their rooftop terrace, bar, table tennis, and chock-a-block social calendar, there is plenty of motivation to get out of your flat and onto the tube. Did we mention the twice-yearly (once a certain pandemic wraps up) global team get-togethers? Think offices from three continents converging in a glorious mingling of accents and awesomeness.
Here’s what you need to get onto this epic team:
· Perl pro with at least three years of experience with high-volume and high-traffic apps and sites
· A solid understanding of Object-Oriented Perl (perks if that knowledge includes Moose)
· SQL/MySQL and DBIx::Class
· Experience with unit and functional testing (Test::More) and Unix/Linux
· An adaptable, flexible workstyle that meshes well with a remote team
If you’ve got these skills, they’re willing to woo you with a competitive salary, healthcare, an enhanced maternity/paternity program, ongoing personal development opportunities, and a bustling social calendar that provides you with as much connection as you want.
You could own a business — but why not join a team where ownership and play are both possible? Send us your CV today and tell us why you want in!
Skills and Experience
At a minimum:
- 4 or more years commercial experience with web-based Perl projects
- Strong grasp of OO Perl, preferably using Moose or Moo
- Comfortable writing your SQL by hand, or with DBIx::Class
- Familiar with Perl’s testing tools and Test::More
- Know your way around a Linux (or Unix) system
- Experience using VCS, preferably git
- Conscientious with a great attention to detail
You’ll cause significant excitement if you’re also familiar with any of:
- ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene, or some other heavy-weight search engine
- Happy to work with templating systems, especially Template::Toolkit
- Previous work history with classified or specialist ads
- A fundamental understanding of web-servers: Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache etc
- Knowledge of spidering technologies
- Cloud-deployment, with AWS preferred
- Infrastructure from data / Modern DevOps tooling, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc
- Distributed queueing or messaging, like Gearman, ActiveMQ, and so on
- Not scared by utf8, and a reasonable understanding of the fundamentals of Unicode
About the Client
The client is always on the look-out for bright, driven, and web-savvy people who want to help them build high-quality products that help people in their day-to-day lives. Their main office is in West London, but they’ve got remote teams spread out around Europe and the wider world. Their focus is on human-centered success - they describe their culture as being diverse, open and informal. They want developers who will treat their products as if they were their own.
- Strong salary - a proper London living wage
- All employees should have an opportunity to be owners too, so there are stock options
- Company-matched pension
- People with (or who want!) families are welcome, and there’s paid maternity and paternity leave
- There are options for working from home, and flexible hours, dependent on role
- Beautiful offices with a sunny outdoor area, an awesome location, free healthy food, a great coffee machine, and table tennis
- At least three social happenings every month; try out your Go-Kart skills, or just come join the team at the pub
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.