Wanna be Flatmates? Perl role in Manchester
Central Manchester, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
Get a room!
Rachel and Monica, Joey and Chandler — best of Friends, maybe, but they had to find their flatmates through old-fashioned face-to-face interaction. Fortunately, the marvels of technology have given us a better way to do things.
Our client connects people in the UK and US seeking flatmates or homes to share, allowing would-be roomies to find exactly what they’re looking for without wading through the “Wanted” section of the Classifieds (does anyone still do that?). Whether you’re a night owl seeking an equally nocturnal flatmate or a cat lover looking for a home that’ll accept you and Mittens, this site is a one-stop-shop for all your co-habitation needs—
And that’s where you come in. These flatmate matchmakers need a Software Developer (Backend) to increase the delivery capacity of their core team. Their core platform is mostly written in Perl, so Perl folks, this one’s for you. You’ll work with developers to create admin tools and implement and test new site features to ensure Joey can find Chandler without breaking a sweat. You’ll develop and extend RESTful next-generation APIs and use MySQL database to gather data and create customized reusable reports.
UK friends, lean in — here’s what you need to know. This role is 80% remote, with a one-day-a-week requirement to be on-site in the Manchester office. We know you want to spend all your time at home with your flatmates, but it’s important to leave the house every now and then. Give them time to miss you, you know?
As to why you want to work here, they’ve got a flexible work environment with a casual dress code, health and wellbeing contributions, a cycle to work scheme, seasonal travel loan, and an active social life outside of work with piles of activities supported by the company.
If you’ve got what it takes to get Friends together, send your CV today and let us know that you want in!
Skills and Experience
- Exposure to Modern Perl is essential; you should be comfortable with using Perl’s testing tools, not be scared of DBIx::Class, and have come to grips with at least one of Perl’s excellent MVCs
- Experience designing and integrating with RESTful APIs
- Exposure to tooling for managing loads and spikes like Gearman and Memcached would be awesome too
About the Client
Our client is a UK household-name, privately owned, in bright and modern offices in Central Manchester. Being family-owned, they’re able to invest in the long-term future of the company and really focus on their mission of helping their users.
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Season travel loans
- Matched pension contributions
- Gym membership contributions
- Optional private healthcare
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Starting holiday allowance of 23 days + bank holidays, rising over time
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting OSC598.