Make a Difference AND a Paycheque. 100% remote (within the UK) Mid-level Perl developer role
Remote from anywhere in the UK (see more)
£40,000 to £46,000
The best things in life may be free, but you’ll get paid for making them accessible when you join our client’s team. Their mission is simple: empower citizens to participate in civic matters. How do they do it? By providing all the technology, tools, and data that people need at no charge. From democratic tools that connect citizens with politicians to a platform that enables citizens to report roads that need fixing, you’ve got the chance to help make the world a better place, one line of code at a time.
In addition to the good karma you’ll build by fixing the world through civic engagement, you’ll love that this role is 100% remote for residents of the UK. Hours are flexible, and they let you determine the tools and environment that will help you work best. Whether you want to work from home, a co-working location, or a cabin in the woods, they’ll support you in setting up the office that fits you.
With a team that is fully remote, you must be a pro at managing your time, setting and completing tasks, and working with team members from Exeter to Edinburgh. Worried about isolation? Fear not; they have daily team check-ins, ongoing chats, and quarterly in-person meetings to catch up and set goals. Retreats are often held at picturesque country houses where rumour has it karaoke battles may break out.
If you’re eager to change the world and get paid to do it, this is the role for you. Want in? Get in touch today and let us know!
Skills and Experience
- Proficient programming experience in Perl (and Python is a bonus) in a professional environment
- Experience in working with databases (such as PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- Experience with version control, preferably Git and GitHub
- The ability to write and maintain test suites
- Experience of collaborating with others on web development projects; it would be a bonus if that was client-facing work
About the Client
A not-for-profit social enterprise, based in the UK but working with partners internationally. Building and sharing digital technologies that help people be active citizens.
100% remote role within the UK. This is initially a 12-month contract with a salary in the range of £40,000 to £46,000 per year, plus pension (3% employer contribution, 5% employee) with possibility for renewl.
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting OSC556.