Software Developer or Matchmaker? Semi-Remote Perl Role in Manchester
Central Manchester, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
You’ve got a match!
The fine art of matchmaking isn’t just for romantic relationships. Sometimes, the most important relationships aren’t with your bae or your boo — they’re with your flatmate. Think about it: you share chores, financial obligations, and maybe even a fur baby. That’s a serious level of commitment, and without a great other half, you’re probably miserable.
Enter our client. Their mission is to connect folks in the UK and US seeking flatmates or homes to share. They know just how crucial a good flatmate is, and their commitment to harmonious home lives has led to their growth from a small family-run business to a larger (though still family-run!) company.
If you’re a Software Developer (Backend), these flatmate matchmakers want you to increase the delivery capacity of their team. With a core platform that is mostly written in Perl, you’ll work with developers to create admin tools and implement and test new site features to make the perfect flatmate fantasy a reality for the masses. You’ll develop and extend RESTful next-generation APIs and use MySQL database to gather data and create customized reusable reports.
We all know that too much of a good thing can be, well, too much. That’s why this role is perfect; work is 80% remote, with a one-day-a-week requirement to be on-site in the Manchester office. After the past 2+ years, isn’t it nice to have a weekly reason to get up, put on your outside clothes, and leave the house?
Here are the deets you really want to know: this company offers a flexible work environment with a casual dress code, health and wellbeing contributions, a cycle to work scheme, seasonal travel loans, and an active social life outside of work with activities supported by the company. Where better to remember how to socialize face-to-face than at a job that encourages it!
Are you a match for this flatmate matchmaking team? If so, send us your CV today!
Skills and Experience
- Exposure to Modern Perl is essential; you should be comfortable with using Perl’s testing tools, not be scared of DBIx::Class, and have come to grips with at least one of Perl’s excellent MVCs
- Experience designing and integrating with RESTful APIs
- Exposure to tooling for managing loads and spikes like Gearman and Memcached would be awesome too
About the Client
Our client is a UK household-name, privately owned, in bright and modern offices in Central Manchester. Being family-owned, they’re able to invest in the long-term future of the company and really focus on their mission of helping their users.
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Season travel loans
- Matched pension contributions
- Gym membership contributions
- Optional private healthcare
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Starting holiday allowance of 23 days + bank holidays, rising over time
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting OSC602.