Do you want to save the world using wit, intellect and a heavy dose of Perl?
Sevenoaks, Kent, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
Hippies used to be the ones trying to save the world — today the tech gurus have joined them. At least the ones inventing clever tech solutions that make the world a little bit of a better place.
This particular company is doing their part by providing charities with online payment and campaign solutions. And, of course, by providing a wonderful work environment and good pay for their own employees! They’ve also been known to take everyone in the office for skiing trips to Switzerland.
As they have satellite offices in both Switzerland and South Africa, another perk with the job is that you can pop over to those countries for a while if you feel like it. Your “home” offices will be in Sevenoaks in Kent, however. So don’t throw out those wellies just yet. You’ll still be dealing with the British weather! Albeit in beautiful Kent and if you like the big city vibe, London is only 30mins away by train. So no worries, you can still have that pint after work in the big smoke!
- 2 years of Perl-based web development experience;
- 2 years of front-end web development experience;
- 3 years professional experience;
- Good knowledge of modern Perl MVC web frameworks (Mojolicious, Catalyst);
- Good MySQL knowledge;
- Experienced with testing (Test::Harness, Test::More, Test::Most) and continuous integration;
- Experienced with SVN and Git;
- Write & maintain technical documentation;Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent English communication skills;
- Passionate about learning new languages and technologies.
Skills and Experience
- At least two years of commercial experience
- You’ve used an MVC framework at least in passing, and could take a stab at explaining what each letter in MVC stands for
- Comfortable writing SQL queries
- There are some days when you aren’t completely terrified by git
- You’ll need to speak English fluently
** Great to have**
- Modern Perl experience
- Solid experience with one of Dancer, Catalyst, or Mojolicious
- Experience testing your code with Perl’s testing modules
About the Client
Our client helps charities fund-raise online, and manages online payments systems for landlords. With every commit, you’ll be helping to funnel market to charities and making renting property just that little bit easier. We regularly bump into the company’s programmers at dev conferences, and their developers are well-known in the open-source community for their contributions to projects.
- A very generous 25 days of annual leave, in addition to Bank Holidays, public holidays, etc
- Employer-matched pension scheme
- Chance to work, expenses paid, in the mountains near Lake Geneva for one week a year
- Company winter sports trip once a year, in addition to the above!
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.