Bring more Modern Perl to a properly agile team in Manchester (and learn NodeJS)
Central Manchester, UK (see more)
Depending on experience
Successful and established team about to undergo an large expansion looking for Perl developers at every level of experience, from school leaver to Larry Wall.
As part of their expansion, and having mastered continuous delivery and Scrum in a way that works primarily for rather than against developers, the team is looking for Perl developers to support a move towards a more API-centric approach. The team’s upcoming focus on bringing their product to international markets will need to be supported by developers who want to grow along with the company – both technically and managerially – and who have an interest in getting stuck into difficult problems like internationalisation.
The team loves Perl, and has a real depth of Perl talent, but know that some services benefit from other stacks – most recently they’ve been experimenting with NodeJS, so either experience or an interest in learning would be beneficial. As you’d expect from a long-established business who are still improving their product daily, the codebase itself is a mixture of older and newer code, but with technical management who are very keen to embrace Modern Perl.
Fundamentally the team values people who are looking to make a difference, and who want to push small changes that improve their customers’ experience, day after day.
The team works flexible hours, and while some onsite in Manchester is expected, for the right candidate this needn’t be an entirely onsite role.
Skills and Experience
- Exposure to Modern Perl is essential; you should be comfortable with using Perl’s testing tools, not be scared of DBIx::Class, and have come to grips with at least one of Perl’s excellent MVCs
- Experience designing and integrating with RESTful APIs
- Exposure to tooling for managing loads and spikes like Gearman and Memcached would be awesome too
About the Client
Our client is a UK household-name, privately owned, in bright and modern offices in Central Manchester. Being family-owned, they’re able to invest in the long-term future of the company and really focus on their mission of helping their users.
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Season travel loans
- Matched pension contributions
- Gym membership contributions
- Optional private healthcare
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Starting holiday allowance of 23 days + bank holidays, rising over time
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.