Grow Your Karma with a Job that Does Good! Perl role in Australia
Canberra, Australia (see more)
Depending on experience
From Small Seeds, Great Things Grow
Not all jobs are created equal. Sure, most pay the bills, but some do more. They impart a sense of purpose; when you log out at day’s end, it’s with the satisfaction that you are part of something bigger, something more important than yourself. You’ve left the world a little better than you found it, and isn’t that what life is really about?
If you’re nodding, you might be the person our client is searching for. This organization is on the cutting edge of developing and delivering genomics and IT tools to improve crop performance and natural resource utilization. The information they process about crops is used to develop new species of plants and to profile micro-organisms. With their help, food security can be established around the world through the creation of new, pest-resistant crops and plant strains so basically… you’re contributing to curing world hunger. Hello, heroes and heroines!
We should mention, this client is located in Canberra, Australia and given the current state of the world (pandemic, grumble grumble) this one’s for those who are already Down Under. Your new office is ideally situated on a university campus (think pizza, drinks with pals, and maybe a work-out to burn off that extra pepperoni). And hey, if the in-person vibes aren’t for you, they offer the opportunity for remote work after six months onsite.
Karma kings and queens saying, “Sign me up!” will need to have strong Perl skills and an interest in genome technology and bioinformatics. Familiar with modern tooling, you may have experience with Ansible, AWS, and Linux containers.
Let’s hear it, Aussies: who wants to fix the world one seed at a time? Email to let us know you’re ready to send your karma meter into overdrive!
Skills and Experience
- Excellent Modern Perl skills, ideally with Dancer
- An openness to learning new things – there’s a learning curve regarding the domain knowledge, but they’ll be happy to teach you
**Nice to have:
- MariaDB and Postgres
- Exposure to biological and/or GIS data analysis
- Ansible / AWS / Linux containers
About the Client
Cutting-edge bioinformatics company
- International and multilingual workplace alongside people with interesting and diverse backgrounds
- Gain experience in bioinformatics, plant genetics and breeding
- Exposure to new approaches in data analysis
- Generous annual bonus
- Flexible working hours, withthe opportunity to work from home for a significant proportion of the week
This job is no longer officially open, but see below for how to register your interest in roles like this, and be told as if the company reopens hiring.