This Company is No Shop of Horrors
Canberra, Australia (see more)
Depending on experience
Feed me, Seymour!
Remember that 80s cult movie classic Little Shop of Horrors? Rick Moranis at his nerdy best and Audrey II, the talking, singing, carnivorous plant. If you saw that movie and found yourself rooting for the vicious Venus flytrap, then our latest role might be the perfect fit for you.
This company’s innovative software provides genotyping information about crops and is used to develop new species of plants. We’re not saying they’re creating man-eating marigolds … but we’re also not denying it. Every office has its secrets, right?
These DNA-dynamos are looking for someone whose modern Perl skills are complemented by an interest in genome technology, bioinformatics, and who won’t tip off the papers if a janitor or two are devoured by daisies. Okay, we might be kidding about that last part, but they are searching for a candidate who is familiar with modern tooling and might have experience with Ansible, AWS, and Linux containers. Toss in a dash of MySQL, Postgres, and Solr, and they would be eager to meet you.
With a mission that includes developing cost-efficient genotyping technology and promoting the development of crops adapted to suit their environment, this is a company that cares about doing great things, and that level of dedication extends to their people. They offer a stellar annual bonus, flexible working hours, and the opportunity to work much of your week from home after the initial 6 months onsite in Canberra to fill you in on the need-to-know details. You’ll have the cash to keep your garden stocked and you’ll be home to enjoy it!
If you’re located within Australia and this role sounds too delicious to pass up, drop us an email with your resume and your favourite flower. No wrong answers! Except carnations. Carnations are always the wrong answer.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent Modern Perl skills, ideally with Dancer
- An openness to learning new things – there’s a learning curve regarding the domain knowledge, but they’ll be happy to teach you
**Nice to have:
- MariaDB and Postgres
- Exposure to biological and/or GIS data analysis
- Ansible / AWS / Linux containers
About the Client
Cutting-edge bioinformatics company
- International and multilingual workplace alongside people with interesting and diverse backgrounds
- Gain experience in bioinformatics, plant genetics and breeding
- Exposure to new approaches in data analysis
- Generous annual bonus
- Flexible working hours, withthe opportunity to work from home for a significant proportion of the week
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on email@example.com quoting OSC472.