A Job that Fits. 100% remote (within UK) Perl dev. Role
Remote from anywhere in the UK (see more)
£40,000 to £46,000
COVID-19 has taught us a lot. We now wash our hands for twenty seconds and understand that blowing out candles on a birthday cake is kind of gross, but the biggest thing we’ve learned is that working from home has serious perks. Long commute? Gone. Buttoned-up office clothes? History. If you’re a Perl pro who’s worried that a return to business-as-usual will see you back in the office, then we have the opportunity for you.
Our client’s mission is to empower citizens to participate in civic matters by providing the technology, tools, and data they need. From a platform that enables citizens to report roads that need fixing to democratic tools that connect citizens with politicians, this dynamic organization is changing the world for the better, one click at a time.
All well and good, you might say — but what about that work-from-home bit? Lean in, friends, because that’s where this company shines. They offer 100% remote working for all residents of the UK.
Given the distance between team members, this client is looking for self-directed folks who excel at managing their own time, avoid distractions, and work well with an online team. Their rockstar would have experience (as a bonus) with Python to complement their solid Perl base, and can work with databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL. Toss in the ability to write and maintain test suites, and you may be a perfect fit.
No need to worry about isolation with this job; they pay for co-working space if you want to get out of the house, and arrange quarterly in-person meetings to catch up and set goals. Word has it these retreats are often held at rambling country houses—so much better than those weekly meetings that could’ve been emails.
Interested? Drop us a line today and let us know why you’re the remote warrior this company is looking for!
Skills and Experience
- Proficient programming experience in Perl (and Python is a bonus) in a professional environment
- Experience in working with databases (such as PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- Experience with version control, preferably Git and GitHub
- The ability to write and maintain test suites
- Experience of collaborating with others on web development projects; it would be a bonus if that was client-facing work
About the Client
A not-for-profit social enterprise, based in the UK but working with partners internationally. Building and sharing digital technologies that help people be active citizens.
100% remote role within the UK. This is initially a 12-month contract with a salary in the range of £40,000 to £46,000 per year, plus pension (3% employer contribution, 5% employee) with possibility for renewl.
Why Apply with Perl Careers?
Some of our clients you may already be familiar with, and some you'll have never heard of. But in our opinion, you're always best off applying through Perl Careers. Why?
- We'll work with you to make sure your CV / résumé is the strongest it can be before we submit it; we know what our clients are looking for, and we'll work with you to make sure your most relevant experience is highlighted;
- We can chase your application and argue your case in a way that would look pushy if you did it; we have strong relationships with our clients, they trust our advice, and we talk to them very frequently;
- We have the same interest in getting a great salary as you do; our remuneration is based on a percentage of your starting salary, and we know how much the client is willing to pay -- we do a lot of negotiation behind the scenes.
It won't shock you to know that we know these are complicated and confusing times, and so do our clients. Bearing that in mind, there'll be a lot of flexibility with how your new role comes together. Whether that means that you start the first few months of your next job working at home, or delay relocating for a new role, we'll work with you and our clients to make sure you can start your next role safetly and in line with health advice.
Let's do this!
Interested in finding out more? Want to get the application process started? There's an application form up and to your right on this page (or maybe below if you're on a very small screen), or you can simply email us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting OSC558.